Sunday, October 15, 2006

Theemithi 2006

Apart from social phenomena, we are also avid journalists. Bringing to you the main draw events, and of course, as usual, the "i bet you didn't know that...." angle to it all. The KLKillahs sent Praba to investigate at Mariamman Temple to find out what makes Theemithi tick. And of course to do some KLKilling. Seems to us like he had a lot of bloodletting to do.

I've mysteriously been missing for the past few days. At the temple was where I was. Where there is a temple function, you're bound to bump into Praba. Just in case you were looking for me to appear next at the firepit, sorry to disappoint, I didn't this year. My firewalking account has already been settled.

So next year when you see me, I hope you'd have something else to ask me instead of "Hey! How come you not walking this year?" And do not, I repeat, do not ask me "Hey what you doing here?" What else will I be doing in a temple jackass? Dance practice? And to all friends whom I saw but was too busy to ask "Dei makkal, approam?", I am absolutely sorry. I had people consistently talking to me coz they're consistently losing touch with me. At least I smiled or waved didn't I? Next year I'll wear a face mask.


The Event

Theemithi 2006. Talk of the town: The two men who decided to swim on fire rather than walk. Wanna know why? Popular belief has that one was cursing and swearing at the officials in perumal temple and the other thought redefining the definition of fasting wouldn't hurt. They had to find out the hard way. I know the two men indirectly. One's in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) just for your added information undergoing skin grafting. So if in future you're gonna firewalk, do what I do, hang out only at the temples, complete vegetarian and listen purely to devotional songs for a month and a half, And you'll be playing soccer the same day you walk fire-barefooted.

The Crowd

This is serious matter. An advice from a friend you can take it as.

To the ladies: You know this is an Yindian occasion where KLKulture-less Yindians are bound to drink. Please come with people who'll stand by you when someone tries to be funny and not flee when trouble's lurking. I had to accompany some people's asses while they waited for their bloody cabs coz their brave 'hunk' of a friend went missing in action when approached by a group of drunk men. And please mind what you wear. The clothes I saw some wrapped around some, not even KTV hostesses can beat. If I am called upon for help and I see you attired to lure trouble, I am gonna make it a point to induce half the heat of the firepit on your cheeks. This ain't a joke. If you're dressed like you deserved it, I am not your Superman. So Miss "My money no enuf to buy clothes that cover more skin" Victim, the next time round when you go out, bring along someone with balls rather than a larger mass and avoid low cuts when you know even the normal of tops are low cut enough for you. You get the message, don't you?


To the men: The crowd inside the temple. You know everyone wants to get a good clear view of god just like you do. You know that everyone wants to be at the front rather than the back. So if you're pushed and shuffed aside, don't run your mouth or stare or raise your hands. These kinda things are common in temples. You wanna be so sensitive about it, then make your own thimithi festival in your backyard. You become the karagam and invite your neighbours.

The Devotees

If ever someone whom you know or around you gets into trance, unfasten their fists, which is usually clenched tight, and apply the holy ash on their forehead while calming them down. Case close. Amman relac already. The umpteen times I had to get into the picture when ladies/gentlemen got into trance, only god knows. And if you're a young boy who's probably around 17/18, whose armpit hair has jus sprouted to say hi to the world, put up a better show when you fake your trance the next time. I had a hard time grinning at your failure though. And where in your heart did the sudden outburst of piousness shoot out from? I saw tons of anjadis wrapped in yellow, kungumam all over the forehead and flowers around the neck where usually fake blings hang. I was moved..not.

The Prayer

When we usually hit the temple, we'll wanna pray for the well being of family/relatives/friends and loved ones. So stop making me enter the temple and say "Dear god, I actually wore my Billabong slippers here. Please ensure no one steals them. Thank you" See, I have so much to thank and request for. I don't have time to be praying for my slipper. So please leave my slippers alone. I lost mine yesterday and my friend lost his the day before. You won't let alone even my torn slippers? Didn't your mum teach you about a clear mind and a conscience.

The Volunteers

Why is it that I see drunk men and 'timers' playing the role of volunteers? You mean to say you couldn't find any other capable men coming forward to help? Why get someone who mumbles in his drunken state? Where the hell did you find so many "tharuthalai kuttys" to help with crowd control? Who's that guy who was munching on fried chicken at the dark corner of the 7-11 with his official pass hanging for everyone to see? Whose that bloody fat bugger whose belly nearly swung me a near 360 degrees? He's supposed to be in charge of crowd control? Are you joking? He IS the crowd.

The Aftermath

Nuff said, here are some of the pictures taken with our trusty KLKamera. And there are far too many to display. Approach me if you wanna see em' all. Some pictures not allowed to be displayed here due to terms and violations.
Courtesy: Sanjeev, Writer of Tamil Murasu






The searing heat from the firepit affects camera flashes.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The devotees : I realize mostly youngsters (gals mostly) getting trance. Amman must be really into youngsters these days. It is funny to watch these people playing out the Sun TV Raja Rajeswari drama.

The prayer : Don't wear slippers at all. Walking barefoot on the streets for one night won't hurt.

Anonymous said...

Fire pit: My bro who's really serious about fasting walked fine but had huge blisters forming on his soles the next day. I thought the fire pit was poorly prepared this year. He was one of the first few to walk.

Volunteers : I can tell you why most proper people don't wanna come forward to help. Temple, its politics (yes, there's such thing as temple politics). I was a volunteer for 7 years in another HEB temple, and that's mainly why I stopped offering my valuable time for temple activities. Where there's an yindian, there will be politics, no matter how trivial it is.

Praba said...

Bola, well said. Actually there has been huge politics running in temples. I haf a frend who was a volenteer in perumal temple. The stuff he was telling me about and all, sounded worse than India's politics. And you mentioned HEB temple. Which temple is that? Quite impressive that you've been a volunteer there. We need more men like you.

ah_neh said...

Bola, we'd like to speak with you. MSN us?