Tuesday, March 13, 2007

KLKribs - Melbourne

This was lying to fallow in the "Drafts" for so long, I near forgot it existed. Since, me, the girlfriend and half Singapore's population are on the verge of cracking a random person's skull due to a very very bad day, The Girl rants and raves on our behalf. Though not on the same topics in question.


Photo: Monash Indian Ball 2004 by anu.arya

Having grown up in the sunny island of Singapore, in the assembly of pinafore clad girls of CHIJ Katong Convent, to the mangamma madness of Upper Serangoon Secondary school, and having lived in Yishun for 3 years, I thought I've seen all there is to see about Indians.

I guess I made the mistake of thinking that characteristically at least, Indians are pretty much the same.

Since I hung out with a predominantly Aussie clique for the first two years I was in Melbourne, I didn't really get the opportunity to analyse the Indian crowd in Melbourne. However after coming to Monash University, I was thrown into the 'Kya yaar' throng of Indians. And so my global Indian education began. Albeit only in Monash University, it is quite a lesson.

In my university, there are the 'Indians' and then there are the 'Curries'

Disclaimer: Curries are what the Indians do not want to become. There are not bad people per se, but they can be quite embarrassing. It can be said that this is a case of 'same-race' racism, where some Indians frown upon the mannerisms of other Indians. As for me, I joined the group of Indians who made more sense to me. I do take a lot pleasure in watching the 'Curries' and commenting on them, as I am sure they do at us. Basically, this post is meant to entertain with no detrimental intent whatsoever.

The Curries.

You can pick them out from anywhere. Curries vary from India Indians, to Aussie Born Indians (ABIs).

Sub-Continental Indian Curries

You can pick them out from anywhere. Their dressing style is very distinct. They do the whole 'I am trying to look like I just got out of bed and walked to uni but actually I was up for the last 4 hrs doing my hair' thing.

First, their shirt. It will only be tucked in the front. That is one look that baffled me. I mean, you wanna tuck in your shirt you tuck it in, if you don't, then DON'T. What is this half and half crap? Eventually, wisdom descended upon me, and I found out that they are going for the 'I-made-out-behind-the-bathroom-dishevelled-shirt' look. See, the unfortunate thing is their entire 'I'm happening yaar' guise falls flat because all 478 of them walk around like that.

Ah..then come the pants. Always hung low, BUT BUT, not for the reasons all other guys I know wear their pants low. Because these guys want to show off their latest super expensive sexy ass boxers/jocks. It is very crucial that everytime they lift their arms, everyone within a 5 metre radius should be able to see the brand name of thier undergarments.

It is a cardinal rule that everything they throw on their torso has to be designer duds. And they let you know it.

ME: Hey, how was your weekend.

Curry: It was alright ya, I went to the city with *insert names of no less than 10 friends*

ME: Yea?? Where did you guys go.

Curry: Everywhere! It is so hard to find a decent pair of gloves.

ME: Gloves? C'mon there are SO many gloves at Target, Priceline, even at Roxy and Billabong.

Curry: *Sniffs* hmmm...I went looking all around Chapel St...I went from Gucci, to Ralph Lauren to *Insert designer brand names*

ME: Right.

Their daddy's money is at their disposal, and that does benefit people below the poverty line like me. For example, it is common to pre-drink before heading off to the club or pub. In cases like these, they are very very generous with their drinks. And at the pub or club, if you give them a stick of chewing gum, they'll end up buying you drinks. So basically, they have no spending limit. Which usually means a lot of them get BLIND drunk. Which would be fine by me if they did not spend the whole time convincing me that they are not drunk and then throw up on me.

Now these curries have adopted this whole 'I want to get rid of my indian accent' thing. Trust me, it is nauseating. I mean, to go from 'Hey where were you yaar' to 'Where've you been mate' is quite a lot to stomach. Which brings me to a massive pet peeve of mine. What is wrong with your natural accent? Yea, like Russell Peters said, the Indian accent isn't the coolest. But it defines Indians. Just the way Singaporeans and Malaysians don't have the best sounding accents. Poseurs. But I digress. I've told a few of these curries off, but once they see that white skin and blonde hair, they slap that Aussie accent on.

If you walk into any cafe in my uni, and spot a table with trays strewn haphazardly, empty cups littered around the table and chairs not pushed back in, you know for a fact that the Curry bomb has hit that place. The world and everyone in it are their servants.

Aussie Born Indian Curries

What is the use of curling your fake mahogany brown hair perfectly, applying blue mascara on the top eyelid, black mascara on the bottom eyelid, 3 colours of eyeshadow, wearing chandelier earings, 3000 bangles/bands on each arm, long chains, a shiny top and skinny jeans, boots (for fuck sake), and a perfume you can smell 50 miles away, to UNI!!?!?

It probably takes 3 hours to do all that. And who actually bothers doing all of that? CURRY GIRLS. Aussie Born Indian chicks all look the bloody same too. If you are gonna spend so much time dolling up, it wouldn't hurt to be original now would it? They treat every walking surface like a fashion runway.

And they travel in packs like wolves, sniffing out the latest metro sexual Aussie Indian dude who thinks he is too cool to be Indian because he is 'Aussie' by nationality. SCREW YOU. How come I see you at every Indian clubbing event, singing along to every damn song? Still Indian by musical inclinations?

What pisses me off the most is the way the girls look at me when they walk past me. They give me the 'Oh you poor girl, I am SO much hotter than you. All the curry boys will look at me 10 times before they even glance at you' look. To that I give them the 'I am smarter than you. Period. I'll be paying your salary' look.

The craziest thing about these Curries is how they DON'T want to be Indian. The Sub-Continental Curries seem hellbent on losing their accent and the Aussie Indians actually take PRIDE in not knowing their native mother tongue. It is one thing not to know it, but to be proud that you don't know it is just bloody obnoxious.

ABI: Hey, I'm *vaguely Indian sounding name*

ME: Oh hey, Gaya, Nice to meet you.

ABI: Oh Gaya, that's nice...is that from Captain Planet?

ME: Haha, no I get that a lot, but it is Indian. Erm, short for Gayathri.

ABI: OH yeaaaa, I was thinking that you might be Indian.

ME: You are too right?

ABI: *Shrugs* *VERY Obnoxious* Yea I guess so..haha!!

ME: Where are your parents from

ABI: Oh India, from Delhi

ME: So can you speak Hindi?

ABI: OH NO! *giggles*

And yet, they rub all over each and every curry boy they see. Nothing sickens me more than whitewashed Indians.

Curry boys also think they are 'Da Bomb', which is actually quite humorous. They seem to be deluded that they are the Princes of the Bay of Bengal and so every female would be stunned by their bedazzling eyes and lick their feet. Walk by them and all of a sudden they are talking louder, laughing louder and some would laugh so hard they would fall out of the group and ACCIDENTALLY bump into you. *rolls eyes*

So as you can see, this post has turned from a mere examination of the Curries to a full on bitchfest. Well, as annoying as they are, they make my uni life interesting. Curries will always be curries.


Editor's Note: Highly interesting. I'm famished. Click HERE for "How to make a Curry".

, , , ,
Generated By Technorati Tag Generator

12 comments:

gP said...

//If you walk into any cafe in my uni, and spot a table with trays strewn haphazardly, empty cups littered around the table and chairs not pushed back in, you know for a fact that the Curry bomb has hit that place. The world and everyone in it are their servants.//

---> amazing but true. Ive done it too...man...its like a war zone. Does eating ice cubes after finishing the drink count? And also chewing the straw into a mangle mass of plastic and also talking for so long until even the plates look edible count? hehehehehe

Anonymous said...

haw haw...this is the best article on here in ages. well done Gaya...oh and 'friends' is still a shite sitcom.

"amazing but true. Ive done it too...man...its like a war zone. Does eating ice cubes after finishing the drink count? And also chewing the straw into a mangle mass of plastic and also talking for so long until even the plates look edible count? hehehehehe"

yes i do it too you cock.

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Interesting perspective. I've been here 6 years and the bulk of the ABIs I've gotten to know are very in touch with their roots. Perhaps even more so than our Singaporean counterparts.

Actually, alot of them aren't really Aussie BORN coz for most of them, their parents emigrated here when they were tiny little tots (my age group i.e 24+).

So, while OUR parents in Singapore are like 2nd or 3rd generation Indians, born in M'sia/ S'pore which makes US kids rather pariahish, these "ABIs" who have parents direct from Sri Lanka or India have closer ties with their Indian hometowns. And these are the parents that are very into caste and religion and the Indian Fine Arts. I've been to some "ABI" weddings which were arranged ones too (once again, my age group [early 80s]). So, I'd say the Indian culture here is very saturated.

Almost all the curries I know take up either classical dance or music. I have a friend who plays the mridangam, tabla, organ and also sings! Girls - veena, singing, bharathanatiyam. They all speak their mother tongue (which puts ME to shame). And they're ALL into their cricket and support their Indian or Lankan teams at the MCG complete with face paint, placards, flags and the DHOL and/or Baila music. [When I first landed here, I put on Lock Up's Kokkorokko, much to their amusement and they ACTUALLY danced to it taking their cue from me. It was HILARIOUS]

The accents though, VERY AUSSIE. I can't fault them for this, having lived here from a young age. It's the FOBs (fresh off the boat) that The Girl speaks of whom get on my nerves as well.

Also, I'm forever being teased about my Singaporean accent. In fact, they've taken to adding a 'lah' at the most inappropriate juncture in their sentences when talking to me. I keep telling them to give up. Many a time when I converse in Singlish to my also-Singaporean-but-"ABI" cousin, they stare in wonderment, then ask if we had just spoken English or not. They weren't trying to be funny. Do you guys actually realise how FAST we all talk in Singapore?? Aussies here speak relatively slower and enunciate ALL their words.

OKAY, I'm done.

For The Girl: Clayton or Caulfield campus? If you'd been at Uni (Clayton) just a few years earlier you'd have met these ABIs I just spoke about :) I'm sorry you've been traumatized by these obnoxious ABIs at uni. (And no, I'm not at Monash, though I used to fraternize with a whole bunch of people from there). Good luck with uni and go to all their "balls"; this is the only time you'll ever get to have that much fun in your life. Social life dies post-uni.

A Dozen Assorted said...

I agree with you Shantini, I myself hang out with people (ABIs included) who exhibit the attributes you mentioned. Those are the Indians.

Now the curries....are a totally different group... ;)

Anyways, I am in Clayton, and I always attend all the indian events. Since you sound like you haven partied in a long time, you should make your way to Metro in the city this Friday (16th)for
a massive dance party called 'Rang De Basanti'. It is huge and I'm sure it'll more than make up for all the partying you've missed.

Anonymous said...

Oh, the ABIs I know here call themselves and refer to each other as "curries" and the ones direct from India as "FOBs".

UNFORTUNATELY, I can't make it on the 16th to Metro (Gaad it's been ages since I went to Metro) coz I'm working till 10 pm (expecting OT as well).

BUT, let me do some PR for my uni, Melbourne University: There's an annual dance thing we put up sometime during the Easter break (by tradition, at Evolution on Commercial Rd) called Dum Mera Dum (DMD). More hits than misses! I've always had crazy, crazy fun :) Two floors of R&B and your average bhangra/bollywood genre. Just be sure to get your tickets wayyyy before or else u join the 500-strong queue outside -_- NOT FUN. DMD usually attracts 1000 odd folks or more - not a good thing if you're possessive over your dance space.

Anyways, here's the Melbourne Uni Indian Club link - http://www.muic.com.au

Also, if you ever get a chance & can gather a few friends to do this, audition to perform at our annual Manoranjan (cultural show). Nothing remotely cultural about it I can assure you. But do it for the heck of it. I danced at Manoranjan for 3 yrs (including 1 Monash cultural show), made lots of friends and had a ball of a time! Not your thing? Then just go watch it lah :) Half as fun, but fun nonetheless!

Anonymous said...

My apologies for hogging this to message The Girl!

I MUST ALSO TELL YOU. Our Indian Club plays are really good too :) The last one was effin hilarious; I got a couple of my manjan friends to come and they loved it too!

Then again, hits and misses once again. You can never really tell when it comes to plays. But then again! Go for it for the heck of it la.. it'll set you back $12.

A Dozen Assorted said...

Oh you'll see me at DMD 100%. I missed it last yr...no way in hell am i missing out this time...

And manorajan...i heard abt it too...too broke to make it last yr...but this yr...i'll save up :D

Anonymous said...

Hey there! Ok im not sure if im talking, well typing to shantini, or gayathri, but well, i'll just say what i hafta say yeah.

well, i cldn't agree more with you on your post man. those observations were so damn accurate. i dont go to uni or anything, im only 15, been here in melbourne for only bout a year and a half, and Im really proud of my Singaporean accent, and came across your blog whilst blog-hopping.

i just hate the way the bloody Aussie born Lankan/Indian chicks just think they are way cooler than other Indian girls frm Singapore and Malaysia, it just seems to me that they think that just cause they've got their Aussie accent, they ARE aussie, it just gets on my nerves so much.

My parents force me to go to tamil class here, cause of the points I'll get for my VCE and all, and the girls who go there right, are so typical. They are infact more 'INDIAN/LANKAN' than they think, I thought i'd seen as much indianess as possible after studying in CHIJ SJC, but hell was I wrong, all this girls talk bout yea, are tamil movies, tamil songs, tamil guys they like(only and always tamil guys), hanging out with their TAMIL friends, and all the TAMIL events and gatherings they went to during the weekend.

How much more INDIAN can you get man? And practically every tamil girl/boy I knw, learns some form of indian classical music or dance.

But then at the end of the day, they just claim they arent really in touch with their roots and arent into 'indian/lankan' stuff, and act as if the mere idea of associating them with anything indian/lankan is repulsive, should really just wake up and get a life.

They totally PISS ME OFF.

thats all i gotta say =D

Anonymous said...

I think that was a very interesting article. One of those that reassures you that you are not alone in thinking that way. I left Singapore for good many years ago mainly because of the influx of Software Professionals and that sort of expatirate Indians (or Yindians as you seem to refer to). I was confused as to who I was really...Singaporean Indian? Indian Singaporean or just one or the other.
I used to dread that one question..aussies thinkt that its not an invasion of privacy to ask this. 'where were you originially from'. During the first few years in Oz my stupid answer would have been Singaporean whihc would only draw repeated questions or comments such as "I would have thought you were Indian' (why ask when there is already a presumption? ). Anyway I am well and truly Aussie or obnoxious or grown up or whatever I don't flinch a bit when I tell them its none of their business. Your article made me reflect on my own experiences which were very similar. The ABIs tried to box me in the "curry' category, the curries knew that I was not one of them and tried to take me under their wing to show me how adapt 'in a new country' sorta thing. I was always on the run from both groups! There was this really Indian lady who was in my class who had married an Ausssie a few years ago whilst he'd been an English teacher in Madras. She was having a sambhar sadham for lunch one day and I passingly said that sambhar looked good. The response was almost immediate...it wasnt sambhar but 'casserole'. Oh wow..okay thanks for the translation yeah. My Malaysian friends and I still remember that incident and share a few laughs over it. Whitewashing at its best.
I guess our plight will never end. I have to face the same crap at work. I thought Singapore was bad but here again you face teh gangs of subconts having their little network going on how to rip off the system etc etc etc Life goes on.

Rubhi said...

hiii!! I know you don't know me but i just googled monash and came upon your blog! i somehow feel so much more prepared now to go to monash haha! =) i'm singaporean-indian and yea i was wondering what exactly i should do- like adapt or stick to what i know. i guess i just gotta be true to myself :P thanks for the super-informative post! haha =) you're hilarious =) take care!

www.mueblesencorbera.com said...

It will not succeed in reality, that's exactly what I think.

Anonymous said...

off white t shirt
curry shoes
off white clothing outlet
supreme clothing
golden goose sneakers
fear of god
kevin durant
goyard outlet
kd shoes
nike off white